First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well guys I just got done driving a 2018 JL Rubicon for an hour on the highway and surface streets. Just some of my main takeaways: (For reference I have a 2010 Wrangler as a baseline for comparison.)
Ford Bronco JL writeup AECD2985-03B1-4F3B-95DA-11333FBF1B99

-Ride quality is a drastic improvement. I would describe a Jeep’s ride quality as “feeling every bump in the road.” If that makes sense. Just inherent to the SFA, HOWEVER the JL has seriously smoothed out those bumps compared to a JK. It is a pretty stark contrast to the previous Jeep, it is not hype at all. They nailed the suspension design.
-Steering. The steering is slightly more refined in feel than the JK, but it still wanders quite a bit on the highway. Just something that’s inherent to the SFA and steering architecture required for a solid front axle.
-Road noise. The soft top in the JL is great. It is definitely a little louder than the hard top in my JK, but road noise through the body is significantly decreased to make up for it. At 75 MPH both my JK and the soft top JL registered 73 DB on my apple watch, but I’d say subjectively the JL is a bit quieter. With the hard top I bet it is significantly quieter.
-Visibility is great, seemed exactly the same as the JK which I’ve always felt had great visibility.
-Interior materials. I know some people have said the Bronco doors feel cheap, honestly the JL door felt quite a bit cheaper than the JK. The dash plastic on the JL felt extremely good, very solid feeling. Will be an interesting comparison to Bronco, I don’t really know how much better an off road vehicle can get. I really wasn’t a fan of the seat, the material was fine but it almost felt like it was jabbing into my back.
-Powertrain. The 2.0 was pretty darn quick, I would call it more than adequate. It isn’t a race car but compared to my 3.8.... yeah there’s just no comparison. Transmission was ready to go with a quick downshift when punching it. Overall I was pleasantly surprised, and it makes me just that much more excited for Bronco’s more powerful options.

Those are my main takeaways. I’ve been skeptical of how good the JL is since it is still a Jeep, but the hype is real. It is an enormous improvement over the JK.... now let’s see how bronco compares eh?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nick, how tall are you? I'm 6'4" and a little concerned about the location of the sport bar behind the drivers seat.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nick, how tall are you? I'm 6'4" and a little concerned about the location of the sport bar behind the drivers seat.
My tinder profile says 6’0 (5’11)

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My tinder profile says 6’0 (5’11)
How much headroom did you have? Did you notice the proximity of the sport bar?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
How much headroom did you have? Did you notice the proximity of the sport bar?
I did not notice it, haven’t noticed it in my JK either.

Lol I can’t believe I said how tall i was without answering the question. #idiot

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice write up, been wanting to drive a JL as my family has a few JKs and older (lots of trips to dealer, and they don't drive well). My uncles 392 Rubicon shipped on 6/14 and I am interested to see if its worth $20,000 more than a decently equipped Bronco. We shall see shortly.

omega145

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed. I always feel like anyone who says Wranglers are awful haven't driven the JL yet and I would agree that they are a huge improvement over any previous generation. I test drove one a couple of years ago when I was in the market and couldn't make a deal at the exaggerated used pricing. As a previous JK and TJ owner, I found the JL to be a huge improvement and capable of being an actual daily driver.
If current pricing wasn't even worse, I might consider one over a Bronco but I do like the current factory options and overall style of the Bronco more.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol I can’t believe I said how tall i was without answering the question. #idiot
Nah! You answered my question. You just didn't address my concern. I'm not a big fan of being decapitated in a crash, but that's just me. I know you were focused on the Tinder punchline. It's all good, man. 😆

Ford Bronco JL writeup Saul Goodma

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Newbie… (jk)

So, should we congratulate you on your new Wrangler purchase now? Haha

OK all jokes aside, and before I get banned, thanks for the write up. I know a lot of folks, including myself, have thought about getting a Wrangler. I haven’t driven one in years and I remember how rough the ride was and how loud it was etc. I’m sure the newer models are much better, but I don’t think it will touch the Bronco in overall greatness!

Getting a Bronco will also help your Tinder profile views.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much headroom did you have?
As long as the steering wheel is out of the way, I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Oh, wait… I misinterpreted your question.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nick, ask the dealer if it has had the TSB recall done for the newer version of the front damper. Probably hasn't. That made a world of difference in mine. It took nearly all of the wonder out. Of course that is if you are planning on buying.

Your review is spot on. I was really surprised in the ride of the new JL's. We took ours across country on a 5K+ road trip, and it was quite comfortable.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nick, ask the dealer if it has had the TSB recall done for the newer version of the front damper. Probably hasn't. That made a world of difference in mine. It took nearly all of the wonder out. Of course that is if you are planning on buying.

Your review is spot on. I was really surprised in the ride of the new JL's. We took ours across country on a 5K+ road trip, and it was quite comfortable.
I’m still totally set on Bronco as long as it doesn’t disappoint 😉

I’m not sure if the TSB was done, but it didn’t feel bad. Just felt like a Jeep.