Sponsored

Is Factory Color Matched 2023 Keyless Entry Just Stuck On with Adhesive?

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do you know if they used the same adhesive or if they added more/put new on?
Ford uses the same 3M VHB that you can buy off amazon, and it comes in varying thicknesses. If the body shop is worth their salt, it'll look OEM.

Out of curiosity, what's the paint defect you've got? I've got a solid one that came from the factory, but I've long since given up on having it fixed since every dealer around me wants 6-8 weeks to do 4 days of warranty work
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford uses the same 3M VHB that you can buy off amazon, and it comes in varying thicknesses. If the body shop is worth their salt, it'll look OEM.

Out of curiosity, what's the paint defect you've got? I've got a solid one that came from the factory, but I've long since given up on having it fixed since every dealer around me wants 6-8 weeks to do 4 days of warranty work
Mine is bad. Bottom corner of driver side door is 1/4 inch bare metal “burr” that looks like a honey comb that due to the protrusion, the primer and paint didn’t adhere. It’s right on the corner of the door in a tough spot and will get a lot of snow and water. So it’s a rust cancer just waiting to happen. They tried to use touch up paint but not confident that will last so Ford is paying to repaint the door. Car <300 miles on it

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Mine is bad. Bottom corner of driver side door is 1/4 inch bare metal “burr” that looks like a honey comb that due to the protrusion, the primer and paint didn’t adhere. It’s right on the corner of the door in a tough spot and will get a lot of snow and water. So it’s a rust cancer just waiting to happen. They tried to use touch up paint but not confident that will last so Ford is paying to repaint the door. Car <300 miles on it
Ah, interesting.

Mine's got this, came from the factory this way. paint is almost double the regular thickness here (8 mils vs 4ish on the rest of the vehicle). it's like the robots were drunk that day

Ford Bronco Is Factory Color Matched 2023 Keyless Entry Just Stuck On with Adhesive? 1694807407077

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ah, interesting.

Mine's got this, came from the factory this way. paint is almost double the regular thickness here (8 mils vs 4ish on the rest of the vehicle). it's like the robots were drunk that day

Ford Bronco Is Factory Color Matched 2023 Keyless Entry Just Stuck On with Adhesive? 1694807407077

What are the effects of that extra thickness? Is the paint darker on that area? What are you doing about it or are you just leaving alone…

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ah, interesting.

This is what the corner of my door looks like - mind you it’s small 1/4 inch and this is zoomed in. I’m worried about even having the door repainted -afraid it won’t match the car. But they are a professional body shop so I’m crossing fingers

IMG_0884.jpeg

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

From the factory my driver side door has some paint damage that Ford is going to cover under warranty. However, they need to repaint the door to do it and get it matched properly.

I am concerned because the vehicle has a factory installed color matched keyless entry. I am uncomfortable if this is just applied to
the door with adhesive/sticker with them trying to remove it and then when they go to put it back on being in the exact same location and it being adhered with the proper strength. Is the factory keyless entry really just stuck on with adhesive?

If so, this may drastically change me even wanting to get the repair done.
Yes. Adhesive.
Sponsored