Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Made a spontaneous decision to make a road trip to visit friends stationed at Ft. Irwin, CA. We needed to get the break-in mileage on the truck somehow. We went south out of Colorado Springs to Hwy 160, then through southern CO towards the 4 Corners. PSA, 4 Corners is a tourist trap and we did not spend 5/person to see it.

We then headed toward Flagstaff, AZ next. Got on the I-40 next and went to Daggett, CA, then north to Ft. Irwin. Did the first oil change at 1,400 miles on the odometer. It made a monstrous mess and swapped the drain plug for this one to control the mess from this point forward. https://www.ebay.com/itm/294070271964

Next we did a road trip to Delano, CA to meet BroncoAdventures and swap non-Squatch flares (mine) for Squatch flares (his). Went great and look great. I am almost complete with the 'My Squatch' transformation. Last thing to happen at Ft. Irwin was the 'Offroad Christening', we went to Rainbow Basin and broke the mule in on the sandy roads. I can't tell you how fun it is to go 50 MPH in Baja mode and to be able to see under the dust cloud with the trail camera. It was an absolute blast.

Last part of the trip was the drive home via I-15 and I-70. The 'Mid-Life Crisis now has 2,770.5 on the clock and needs a serious bath.

To be honest I think I am driving a Unicorn, fabled but not substantiated. The people changing lanes to see it and hitting their heads on the window or almost running off the road trying to get pictures. The soft top is not too loud on the interstate and the Hankook MT2s are not loud either. I love this truck and it is everything I was hoping for and Ford delivered. My patience paid off and so will it for those waiting, it is well worth it. Hang in there, the unicorn is real and will be part of your stable soon.

Ford Bronco Inaugural trip with some side adventures Flares3

Ford Bronco Inaugural trip with some side adventures Flaresoff1

Ford Bronco Inaugural trip with some side adventures Flaresoff3

Ford Bronco Inaugural trip with some side adventures Flaresoff4

Ford Bronco Inaugural trip with some side adventures Flaresofg2

Ford Bronco Inaugural trip with some side adventures Flaresswapped

Ford Bronco Inaugural trip with some side adventures MPG_On_Tri

Ford Bronco Inaugural trip with some side adventures Offroad_Christenin

Ford Bronco Inaugural trip with some side adventures BroncoAdventures_MidlifeCrisis

Ford Bronco Inaugural trip with some side adventures Flares2
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That looks like a fun trip! I've been traveling quite a bit, too - I just crossed north of 5,000 miles!!!

Last night, came up 15 from Las Vegas to SLC Metro and hit snow just north of the I70 exit.

Key takeaways:

Turn off the auto high beams by clicking the control stalk forward once. They are awful in snow. I passed a semi truck, they kicked on and I thought I'd transitioned to light speed.

Slippery mode turns on 4A.

Snow blocks the traffic sensor on the front and once it's covered, "pre collision assist" and "adaptive cruise control" no longer work. Once the snow clears off it, they work again, though.

The real unicorn is the air filter. Nobody has one. Hahaha!!! Fram doesn't even list one on their site and I was sure Fram would be the first to market with one.

I'm so glad to see you got your Bronco and you're out and about! It would have been a hoot to catch you on 15!!! :)

DrSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

ha! Took me a minute to realize the fender flares were off. I couldn't figure out why it was squatting so much!

colobronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I must have just missed seeing you as I did almost the same loop in reverse last week. Took 70 / 15 to Las Vegas and took 40 / 160 back. Although we detoured through Aztec NM to see the pueblo ruins there instead of going past the 4 corners.

Only bad thing is that I pick up my bronco today, so we had to do it in our Palisade.

OP
OP
SevenT

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I must have just missed seeing you as I did almost the same loop in reverse last week. Took 70 / 15 to Las Vegas and took 40 / 160 back. Although we detoured through Aztec NM to see the pueblo ruins there instead of going past the 4 corners.

Only bad thing is that I pick up my bronco today, so we had to do it in our Palisade.
Colobronco,
Now you need to do it again to get break-in mileage and to go bombing through the desert to christen the pony. (y)

Sponsored

colobronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Colobronco,
Now you need to do it again to get break-in mileage and to go bombing through the desert to christen the pony. (y)
I'm sure my 1 and 3 yr old will be happy to spend 25 more hours in their car seats.

BroncoAdventures

Base
First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ford escape titanium ,1991 toyota 4x4 22re
Your Bronco Model
Base
Made a spontaneous decision to make a road trip to visit friends stationed at Ft. Irwin, CA. We needed to get the break-in mileage on the truck somehow. We went south out of Colorado Springs to Hwy 160, then through southern CO towards the 4 Corners. PSA, 4 Corners is a tourist trap and we did not spend 5/person to see it.

We then headed toward Flagstaff, AZ next. Got on the I-40 next and went to Daggett, CA, then north to Ft. Irwin. Did the first oil change at 1,400 miles on the odometer. It made a monstrous mess and swapped the drain plug for this one to control the mess from this point forward. https://www.ebay.com/itm/294070271964

Next we did a road trip to Delano, CA to meet BroncoAdventures and swap non-Squatch flares (mine) for Squatch flares (his). Went great and look great. I am almost complete with the 'My Squatch' transformation. Last thing to happen at Ft. Irwin was the 'Offroad Christening', we went to Rainbow Basin and broke the mule in on the sandy roads. I can't tell you how fun it is to go 50 MPH in Baja mode and to be able to see under the dust cloud with the trail camera. It was an absolute blast.

Last part of the trip was the drive home via I-15 and I-70. The 'Mid-Life Crisis now has 2,770.5 on the clock and needs a serious bath.

To be honest I think I am driving a Unicorn, fabled but not substantiated. The people changing lanes to see it and hitting their heads on the window or almost running off the road trying to get pictures. The soft top is not too loud on the interstate and the Hankook MT2s are not loud either. I love this truck and it is everything I was hoping for and Ford delivered. My patience paid off and so will it for those waiting, it is well worth it. Hang in there, the unicorn is real and will be part of your stable soon.

That was a awesome trip and a pleasure meeting you both !! Great looking bronco you have !!
Sponsored