First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A simple question it would seem. But I would ask what kind of wheeling are you looking to do?
Trails can change quickly down here. Even the afore mentioned Crown King has changed significantly over the years. As a winch would be my recommendation, between the two. I would recommend that you don't put yourself in a position where a winch would be needed in the first place. In a fully build rig, no problem. In a Bronco with a stock steering rack and tie rods. You can get yourself in trouble fairly quickly. You can always try to plan on not running a trail at night and baring an unforeseen scenario, IE Mechanical, you should be able to get out without the need for lighting.

Research the trails you are planning to run and never wheel alone.

OP
OP
WR1

WR1

Badlands
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Squach 2D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks … I plan to wheel but as to types, no idea …I’ll be there soon to figure all that out :) are there any Phoenix 4x4 (Bronco?) clubs to join that head out on organized “expeditions”

Shifts And Grins Fab

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shiftsandgrinsfabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks … I plan to wheel but as to types, no idea …I’ll be there soon to figure all that out :) are there any Phoenix 4x4 (Bronco?) clubs to join that head out on organized “expeditions”
Arizona Broncos on Facebook is pretty active. They have runs almost every weekend of different difficulty levels.

JONNEE

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tahoe, 2000 Yukon XL, 1993 Suburban, all 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Have you recovered with a hand winch ?? Do they actually work … never used one.
I loves me my little hand winch. I have used it prolly a dozen times to successfully pull me out of a predicament. Sure, it's rough when it's just me, the truck, and the hand winch, but it gets the job done. When I have a long way to the nearest anchor, I also carry some 25' 5-ton nylon straps to extend its reach. I've pulled the truck sideways, backwards, forwards, even rotated it. Between the hand winch and a jack, one feels like the pyramid builders moving those 20 ton stones by hand. (An added benefit is that the hand winch gets used around the house and yard - it's a true multipurpose tool :))

I'd imagine that a powered winch, with controls in the cab where you are, is a definite step up in ease of use. However, then there's this big-ass hunk of stuff in the front of the truck for always and forever. And the added maintenance. But, maybe, just maybe, I will get one to pretty up the nose of a future new Bronco.

Cheers - Jon

Sponsored
OP
OP
WR1

WR1

Badlands
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Squach 2D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What brand/model of hand winch have you used successfully?

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would recommend that you don't put yourself in a position where a winch would be needed in the first place.
In another life my job required a lot of off road 24/7/365. In 20 years I can think of only one time when a winch would have been useful, except there wasn't a tree handy, and it was in the mountains. But we were in two trucks and had tow straps. Kinetic straps weren't around then.

I'd go with the lights, you'll use them a lot more than a winch and you don't have an extra 100 pounds hanging off the front of your Bronco.

A couple of years ago I was talking to a guy who drove a support van for the Ford Baja Nagstalia race team. They used a winch in a cradle that would mount to a trailer hitch. The van had a hitch in the front and rear.

My feeling is needing a winch is nature's way of telling you that you need to try another route.

But in the end, it all depends on the kind of off-roading you intend in doing. Personally if there are two routes to get to the same location, I'll always take the easier one. Easier on me and my vehicle.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thinking a bit more...

You'd have to relocate your front camera and ACC sensor unless you installed a hidden winch.
Sponsored