Sponsored

Adding SAS or stock badlands over BD suspension better on road?

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Im probably the odd duck around here for asking. Not looking to do much off roading, more so have a better daily driver ride. Would upgrading the stock suspension from my 4 door 23 2.7 BD to the stock SAS or Badlands suspensions be worth it? I was leaning more towards the Badlands cause its a lower ride height to keep center of gravity lower or is that just a waste of money if im not planning to add 37's for off roading?
Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here's a great thread about it.

I did it and added 33s. I went with a BL-non SAS C/O's. I did it more for off-roading but definitely notice a better DD experience overall. The Hitachi's are capable but ride rougher and the rebound, at least for me, was harsh and fast. I'd also add it provides a small lift and level which worked out great.

If you can score some take-offs for a good price ($500~) it's a nice upgrade. You can do the install yourself or pay a shop (I'd expect that cost to be 4-500 to swap).

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Im probably the odd duck around here for asking. Not looking to do much off roading, more so have a better daily driver ride. Would upgrading the stock suspension from my 4 door 23 2.7 BD to the stock SAS or Badlands suspensions be worth it? I was leaning more towards the Badlands cause its a lower ride height to keep center of gravity lower or is that just a waste of money if im not planning to add 37's for off roading?
Do the SAS. If your spending money to switch go for the better suspension.

OP
OP
lemonslush

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here's a great thread about it.

I did it and added 33s. I went with a BL-non SAS C/O's. I did it more for off-roading but definitely notice a better DD experience overall. The Hitachi's are capable but ride rougher and the rebound, at least for me, was harsh and fast. I'd also add it provides a small lift and level which worked out great.

If you can score some take-offs for a good price ($500~) it's a nice upgrade. You can do the install yourself or pay a shop (I'd expect that cost to be 4-500 to swap).
sweet! Aside from the just the CO what other parts are needed? Did you do upper control arms or links? I keep seeing the take off sets including them.

OP
OP
lemonslush

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do the SAS. If your spending money to switch go for the better suspension.
I though they were the same and the SAS just had a spacer vs the BL which let for more articulation?

Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I though they were the same and the SAS just had a spacer vs the BL which let for more articulation?
Your right, I just looked it up and I didn't know that.

OP
OP
lemonslush

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
i figure since I just want the ride improvement vs the height go with the lesser of the lifts. No real place to off road near me sadly so the car will mostly be on road as much as I want to pretend in my head ill take it off roading its just not a option near by.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think that is accurate, BL-non SAS has more articulation and SAS will give you more lift.

No other parts needed beyond the COs. Some notes:

Watch for factory cross-threading.

Take pictures of which nut belongs to what link (tie rod, sway bar, UCA) they’re all pretty similar but have different designs.

It is easier to loosely thread the nuts onto the top hat on the frame before trying to get the bottom studs through the lower control arm. (On the front).

Take the wheel well liners out of the back to make it easier to install the rear struts.

Get an alignment post.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a 2dr BD 2.3 non sas. I was looking for sas take offs but for the prices plus shipping Im now reconsidering and looking at the bilstein 5100s. Cost is about the same, maybe less after shipping, and they have adjustability. We have a 4wheel parts local and theyre in stock. Im waiting a couple weeks to build my funds back up after xmas then Ill be getting them.

OP
OP
lemonslush

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 2dr BD 2.3 non sas. I was looking for sas take offs but for the prices plus shipping Im now reconsidering and looking at the bilstein 5100s. Cost is about the same, maybe less after shipping, and they have adjustability. We have a 4wheel parts local and theyre in stock. Im waiting a couple weeks to build my funds back up after xmas then Ill be getting them.
are the 5100 a better shock than the CO takeoffs from badlands?

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Snacktime's 5100 Bilstein Shocks review & takeaways | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

EDIT: 5100s no reservoir, need to reuse springs (i.e. need a shop to move them over), pretty similar beyond that. I think there is some diameter and other comparisons somewhere. The 51s are adjustable which is great.

There is also ford performance and other aftermarket. Depends how much spend and work you want to take on. The beauty of the bil swap is it is 1-1 if you find a good price for take-offs.

Last edited:

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

are the 5100 a better shock than the CO takeoffs from badlands?
Supposedly they should last longer. Im looking at them primarily for the adjustment. Im not worried about the extra labor cause Im a service advisor at an independent shop and will do the work myself on a weekend with help from one of my techs. 4wp lists them at 157ea and I have an acct that will get me a small discount and no tax.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

IMO there are benefits and tradeoffs for both; I'd call it dealer choice.
Sponsored