First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So a member of my crew has an old '68 bronco that he refurbished. He came into shift this morning and gave me the fender emblems to put on my '21 thats race red. He said "they'll look better on your rig than mine". I don't want to drill holes into the fenders so I took a dremel to the pegs and attached them with 3M adhesive. One issue i'm having is that the emblem is hollow on the back so some places of the emblem isn't sticking to the fender very well. Wondering if anyone has put any of these on their rig yet? Would it be a good idea to put some epoxy in the hollow part first and then put the 3M adhesive over that?

9313.jpeg
Sponsored

kbBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2019 Honda Rebel 300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The bucking bronco logo on the back of my rig had hollow spots. I simply filled them with small pieces of 3M automotive adhesive. It was a nightmare getting the plastic tape off while keeping the adhesive in place, but it secured the hollow part of the logo to the body well.

IceBender13

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco sport,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I also purchased a lic Bronco emblem. It also has a hollow back which I filled with exterior grade silicone. Once dry I will shave flat to have a flat surface for the 3m tape to adhere to, I am hoping. Keep you posted once installed, still not up to temperature for tape. Working on customizing mud flap install today for our Sasquatch.

OP
OP

haighter

Big Bend
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I also purchased a lic Bronco emblem. It also has a hollow back which I filled with exterior grade silicone. Once dry I will shave flat to have a flat surface for the 3m tape to adhere to, I am hoping. Keep you posted once installed, still not up to temperature for tape. Working on customizing mud flap install today for our Sasquatch.
Nice! For sure let me know.

OP
OP

haighter

Big Bend
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The bucking bronco logo on the back of my rig had hollow spots. I simply filled them with small pieces of 3M automotive adhesive. It was a nightmare getting the plastic tape off while keeping the adhesive in place, but it secured the hollow part of the logo to the body well.
I did the bucking bronco and the ford emblem on the tailgate. Made the bronco gloss black and the ford emblem matte/gloss black. Those haven’t had any issues with just the adhesive.

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So a member of my crew has an old '68 bronco that he refurbished. He came into shift this morning and gave me the fender emblems to put on my '21 thats race red. He said "they'll look better on your rig than mine". I don't want to drill holes into the fenders so I took a dremel to the pegs and attached them with 3M adhesive. One issue i'm having is that the emblem is hollow on the back so some places of the emblem isn't sticking to the fender very well. Wondering if anyone has put any of these on their rig yet? Would it be good to put some epoxy in the hollow part first and then put the 3M adhesive over that?
I would use an epoxy to fill it(use a bondo spreader or putty knife to flatten it before it cures) and then hit it with a scotchbrite after it's cured. Other products are a bit more user-friendly, such as self leveling seam sealers, but they are sold in large cartridges that require a special applicator gun.

Products such as silicone caulk will be difficult for the double sided adhesive to bond to.

The body shops and professional installers use the 3M 08069 Press in Place emblem adhesive tape(2"x12" strips), but they are sometimes hard to find in anything other than a ten pack which is about $50. You might be able to find them sold individually on ebay or a local automotive paint store.

Full disclosre: My last 21 years of my career I was in sales with 3M in their Automotive Aftermarket Division. 3M has a full breadth of products for the automotive market, about 3,900 products they sell into body shops. I can't promise to know everyting but I'm happy to answer any questions whether it's how to make paint look perfect/swirl free or stick an emblem on. I may recommend a 3M product from time to time because my daily routine was being in a body/custom paint shop where I was a problem solver for body and paint technicians. :)

OP
OP

haighter

Big Bend
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would use an epoxy to fill it(use a bondo spreader or putty knife to flatten it before it cures) and then hit it with a scotchbrite after it's cured. Other products are a bit more user-friendly, such as self leveling seam sealers, but they are sold in large cartridges that require a special applicator gun.

Products such as silicone caulk will be difficult for the double sided adhesive to bond to.

The body shops and professional installers use the 3M 08069 Press in Place emblem adhesive tape(2"x12" strips), but they are sometimes hard to find in anything other than a ten pack which is about $50. You might be able to find them sold individually on ebay or a local automotive paint store.

Full disclosre: My last 21 years of my career I was in sales with 3M in their Automotive Aftermarket Division. 3M has a full breadth of products for the automotive market, about 3,900 products they sell into body shops. I can't promise to know everyting but I'm happy to answer any questions whether it's how to make paint look perfect/swirl free or stick an emblem on. I may recommend a 3M product from time to time because my daily routine was being in a body/custom paint shop where I was a problem solver for body and paint technicians. :)
Thanks for the reply. I actually have about 8 pieces of the press and place left. I used it on this emblem but with some other 3M adhesive and I think that’s what messed it up.
The press and place will stick to the epoxy once it’s dried?

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the reply. I actually have about 8 pieces of the press and place left. I used it on this emblem but with some other 3M adhesive and I think that’s what messed it up.
The press and place will stick to the epoxy once it’s dried?
It will if you scuff it with a grey or maroon scotchbrite. Epoxy is easy to bond to and the best activated automotive primers are mostly epoxies.
Sponsored