William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Bronco Sport has Sport badge which separates it from the full size Bronco platform.
The Escape isnt necessairly a "donwgrade" from the Bronco Sport. Its a styling thing.
WHereas the LC PRado IS a downgrade from the 300 & even the 200.
Is the Prado LC claiming to be a 300? Anyone but you clamoring about it? The Sport is a downgrade from the Bronco so I demand it have the Escape name included because I don't know how many times people have told me they saw a Bronco and where is mine so the public is definitely confused!

The Land Cruser Prado in other markets has historically had Prado baddging.
Exactly, other markets! The Prado name is and has not been used in this market.

The US market, in general doesnt know about the Prado platform, and the implication is the new Land Cruiser Prado is comparable to a 200 or 300. And its absolutely not.
See first comment.

IMO this will let dealers upcharge the LCPrado to near 300 levels of price.
Becasue the US consumer believes they are getting that level of procuct that carries the prestige and the advanced suspension technology, when they arent.
Dealers are going to upcharge based on hype, not capabilities. If anything you'll have a dumbass salesperson that tries to upsell it by telling a rube that it can drive them to the moon and back and they'll probably believe it and buy it at whatever price they want.

THe difference between a 4 Runner and FJ is packaging - capabilities are pretty much the same - so not really a need to qualify they are the same platform.
So should the 4 Runner not be called a Prado? It's different packaging but same platform right? Would you have been happier if they called it the 4 Runner XL vice LC? You're good with both of the others being called whatever Toyota wants to call it even though they're Prado based.

Should the Bronco have a Ranger badge?
Based on your reasoning yes.

Sponsored

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is the Prado LC claiming to be a 300?
The LC Prado is claiming by implication to be a straight up Land Cruiser by not qualifying itself as an LC Prado. And it's not.
Anyone but you clamoring about it?
Thanks I'm not "clamoring" I'm sharing my opinion on deceptive marketing for the US market by Toyota.

The Sport is a downgrade from the Bronco so I demand it have the Escape name included because I don't know how many times people have told me they saw a Bronco and where is mine so the public is definitely confused!
I'm not talking about the Bronco or Bronco Sport and your comparison is not apples to apples and

Exactly, other markets! The Prado name is and has not been used in this market.
And ot should be now to have an honest consumer experience.

See first comment.

Dealers are going to upcharge based on hype, not capabilities.

Exactly, the hype that this "is a Land Cruiser " and the BS that its "Right sized for off roading" which is so sad and awful. The price is right sized for upper middle class US market but because it's skinnier and shorter doesn't make it more trail worthy.
Advanced capabilities belong to the 300.

If anything you'll have a dumbass salesperson that tries to upsell it by telling a rube that it can drive them to the moon and back and they'll probably believe it and buy it at whatever price they want.
I guess we can agree on that at least. And that sales person is not armed with the prestige of the Land Cruiser badge. Instead of the Land Cruiser (light) Prado badge.

So should the 4 Runner not be called a Prado?
No, because it's not trying to be a Land Cruiser.

It's different packaging but same platform right?
think u know the answer

Would you have been happier if they called it the 4 Runner XL vice LC?
I'm talking about marketing the Land Cruiser and your talking about other product categories. The 4 Runner and the FJ are both in the same class as the Prado and THEY ARE NOT TRYING TO PRETEND TO ME MORE THAN THAT.

You're good with both of the others being called whatever Toyota wants to call it even though they're Prado based.
Dont tell me what im "good with".
obviously you are good with deceptive marketing to US consumers by Toyota.

Based on your reasoning yes.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

@Bruno

The general public doesn't care, yes it's a Land Cruiser Prado, congratulations for knowing the difference.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This is a tough one for me. I got the Bronco as a tribute to my Grandfather's Scout he had from when I was little until I was about 12. He then got an 88 Land Cruiser that we took on tons of camping trips. I love my Bronco, but the one other vehicle that I would want would be the LC. Good news is by the time they are available and probably past the ADM time period, my Bronco will be paid off and I might be in the market for another daily and the Bronco will transition to the weekend toy...
There are dealers right now not charging AMD.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I saw the colors listed, but is there anything showing the actual color? I have no idea what underground, meteor shower, and trail dust are supposed to be. I assume wind chill pearl and ice cap are versions of white, but maybe not.

Sponsored

BaseManSquatch

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The new "Land Cruiser" is a hard pass for me.

1) Doesn't have NA engine, only comes with turbo AND hybrid.

2) The only good angle is the front in the "1958" trim with the round headlights. The side and rear remind me of Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (that's what first came to mind when I saw photos of it). It needs more "bulge" or muscular lines on the sides.

3) "Starts" in the $50k range. We all know what that means based on what the Bronco has sold for.

It means it will be $54,999.99 BEFORE any ADM which is going to be another $9,999.99 so you're looking at $65,000 just for the BASE trim and that's before the additional $9,999 which will include:

• nitrogen filled tires
  • VIN number etching in the glass
  • floor & cargo mats
  • detail and gas topped off
  • door and mirror protection coating
  • Extended warranty (on a brand new car!)
  • pin stripes
  • and the best part is when you go pick up your vehicle it will have a license plate holder with the dealer's name.
Throw in taxes and destination fee and you're looking at $80,000.

And it will sell out because people will want to show off and be the first on the block seen driving it.

Last edited:

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I saw the colors listed, but is there anything showing the actual color? I have no idea what underground, meteor shower, and trail dust are supposed to be. I assume wind chill pearl and ice cap are versions of white, but maybe not.
You are correct on the whites. I'd like to see a red and better blue.

Underground

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I believe meteor shower is the silver color that was revealed on the 1958.
Also, word on the street is that it will get 27 MPG.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks your acknowledgement of my knowing the difference means so much to me.

I hope you continue to enjoy your FJ...
You're quite welcome, however, with all this Prado talk my FJC now identifies itself as an FJ Cruiser Prado; I do ask in any future mention of it that you respect its wishes.

Sponsored

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
On IH8MUD someone was suggesting this was a rush job and what we were shown on Aug 1 was originally the 4Runner redesign. They wanted to capitalize on the LC name and rising car prices. I tend to agree this seems more like a 4Runner than a LC.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BroncoBish

Badlands
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not the biggest fan of this new gen yet, but might grow on me more over time. Reminds me of old school toyotas for sure and Toyotas are very dependable. Have a couple that have over 300k on them and still going.

There is going to be a mark up for sure and you will be lucky to get your hands on one (maybe easier for smaller towns) I feel like pricing is going to be closer to 80-120k easily. They have always been priced more than the Sequioas and those are in the 80k mark before dealer mark ups.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not the biggest fan of this new gen yet, but might grow on me more over time. Reminds me of old school toyotas for sure and Toyotas are very dependable. Have a couple that have over 300k on them and still going.

There is going to be a mark up for sure and you will be lucky to get your hands on one (maybe easier for smaller towns) I feel like pricing is going to be closer to 80-120k easily. They have always been priced more than the Sequioas and those are in the 80k mark before dealer mark ups.
And Sequoias have thin sheet metal

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

On IH8MUD someone was suggesting this was a rush job and what we were shown on Aug 1 was originally the 4Runner redesign. They wanted to capitalize on the LC name and rising car prices. I tend to agree this seems more like a 4Runner than a LC.
Isn't that the normal revision process, small size bump up?
Yes they definitely know the value of the Land Cruiser badge.
And they know the US market. People that can afford a 300 would rather buy a more flash badge like LRover or G Wagen.
So... they took the LC badge down market for the US market, in quality , content, and price, knowing they can easily make incremental price increases into the $70s with this 4 Runner that has a LC badge.
Sponsored

Reactions: Fly