Sponsored

Uncomfortable front seats! What is the solution?

GeoBig

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco, 1974 MG Midget
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Y'all!

I have a 2022 4dr Badlands Lux w/ MGV(Took delivery June 2022 and put 27k miles on it already). It has manual seat adjustments and I can get it to "comfortable enough" but on drives of 1hr+ I get pretty bad back pain. I did a 9hr straight drive and my back hurt for like 2 weeks afterwards šŸ¤¦

For comparison sake, I had a 2019 Mustang Bullitt before this and I could take it on 4hr+ drives with no pain.

I'm not an ergonomics expert, so I'm not quite sure what the source of this discomfort is. Has anyone else had a similar experience and a fix?

I'm open to the idea of replacing the whole seat, if that's what it takes šŸ˜‚ I love my Bronco and would like to keep it for a very long time... But if I can't solve this, I might have to trade it for something else šŸ˜”

For me, it isn't my back per se, it's my shoulders. Coming from a BMW 328 with leather bucket seats, the flat seat isn't providing any support for my shoulders as my arms stretch out to the steering wheel, resulting in upper-back/shoulder pain after a few hours.

Certainly not a problem enough to get rid of my Bronco, but my one complaint.
Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I find this fascinating. What do you do if you spend all this money and the seats just don't work for you? Not an issue anybody wants, but it's gotta happen. The human body just varies too much.
I would definitely start playing around with seat jackers, or a DIY variation, and see if it made a difference. There are some aftermarket lumbar adjusters you can install, though I donā€™t know if it would do much when the driverā€™s seat already has one. It would sure help on the passenger side.

If none of that worked, I would research aftermarket seat covers to see if anyone makes one with more bolstering, which could offer more support.

Also, the various Bronco seats between trim packages seem to have different shapes, which may or may not make a difference. I would try to see if I could borrow or trade with somebody for a drive, and if their seat is better for you, see if anyone is willing to trade. I drove an OBX with cloth at Off Roadeo, and it seemed pretty comfortable on the 20 minute drive to the trail, as well as all day thereā€¦

I would do whatever I could to prevent having to get rid of the Bronco, thatā€™s for sure.

Apple Blossom

Outer Banks
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm aware of that, but you can't change the angle.
Push on the front of this lever and the front of the seat goes up and the back and the back goes up.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yep, everybodyā€™s different. Plenty of people have said the fixed headrests donā€™t bother them at all, yet there are quite a few of us who canā€™t stand it. Both sentiments are valid.

Same thing with this threadā€™s original topic of seat comfort. Some folks say the MGV seats are the most comfortable theyā€™ve ever owned, and for those lucky people, great! Iā€™m happy for you. šŸ‘

But for some of us, they just arenā€™t that great. For whatever reason, they donā€™t fit our bodies. There are things that can help, like seat jackers and lumbar pads, and thatā€™s what this thread was supposed to be about.

But like so many other subjects, thereā€™s this attitude of ā€œIf I donā€™t personally experience this problem, than it isnā€™t a problem and it must be you.ā€ Since I find these seats comfortable, you must need a chiropracter, or stop sitting on your wallet, or you donā€™t know how to adjust your seat properly.

Iā€™m in pretty reasonable shape for my age, and Iā€™ve done a lot of driving in my life. In just the last couple of years Iā€™ve driven from Tucson to Traverse City in less than three days in a stupid rental Dodge minivan, and I was fine. The trip home was in a Forester. Again, no problem, 1000 miles per day. I drive to Taos a couple times a year, 13 hours straight, in a variety of vehicles including a freaking Chevy Trax. Never an issue.

But I canā€™t go downtown in the right seat of our BD with MGV seats without my back hurting. When I drive it on road trips, the only thing that makes it tolerable is that I can constantly adjust the lumbar. The seats just arenā€™t that great for me, and obviously many othersā€¦
My favorite comments were the "you're sitting wrong". Freakin clowns lol.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
For me, it isn't my back per se, it's my shoulders. Coming from a BMW 328 with leather bucket seats, the flat seat isn't providing any support for my shoulders as my arms stretch out to the steering wheel, resulting in upper-back/shoulder pain after a few hours.
Maybe that's the problem. I drive with my left arm on the window sill, and the right arm on the armrest and stick.

Stretching out and holding the steering wheel would definately cause ME shoulder discomfort.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe that's the problem. I drive with my left arm on the window sill, and the right arm on the armrest and stick.

Stretching out and holding the steering wheel would definately cause ME shoulder discomfort.
Adding padding to the armrest was definitely a helpful modification...

But I wonder if that's going to void my warranty. ;)

buschris

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
the seating surface is too short. they could have pulled a BMW and made an extendable front. The seats were made for people under 5' tall

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Y'all!

I have a 2022 4dr Badlands Lux w/ MGV(Took delivery June 2022 and put 27k miles on it already). It has manual seat adjustments and I can get it to "comfortable enough" but on drives of 1hr+ I get pretty bad back pain. I did a 9hr straight drive and my back hurt for like 2 weeks afterwards šŸ¤¦

For comparison sake, I had a 2019 Mustang Bullitt before this and I could take it on 4hr+ drives with no pain.

I'm not an ergonomics expert, so I'm not quite sure what the source of this discomfort is. Has anyone else had a similar experience and a fix?

I'm open to the idea of replacing the whole seat, if that's what it takes šŸ˜‚ I love my Bronco and would like to keep it for a very long time... But if I can't solve this, I might have to trade it for something else šŸ˜”
Probably the answer is focus on why your back would react to a decent seat. It's not the car but your back. Do yoga, lose weight, stretch, exercise.

Angry_Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2015 Fusion (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have a 22 Badlands with the MGV and no complaints. I did 8+ hours from Detroit to the Marquette and no issues, check your seat adjustments.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wtf is this supposed to mean?

OP the Bronco has bucket seats, really good for keeping you in place while racing in the desert but may be uncomfortable for some during normal driving. Try this, it may help. It has memory foam and evens out the "bucket" effect that lifts your knees higher than your hips, which if you google is not healthy:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PGNR1SL?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Pftā€¦Raptor maybe, Bronco seats are more luxury than race truck, itā€™s not the seats, itā€™s the driver!

Sponsored

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My MGV seats have been ok. Not as comfy as the super aggressive bucket seats on my Elantra N, though. I might have to play more with the adjustments as I just recently got it.

You need to see a chiropractor.
Chiropractors are terrible. Not real doctors, believe in quackery, and can cause more harm than good. I'd stay far away.

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco wannabe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How would you guys compare the MGV or Cloth or Leather seats (please specify) to the cloth F150 seats, on a scale of 1 to 10? Out of the dozen vehicles I've owned, my 2018 F150 6-seater had the damn most comfortable plain cloth seats of all time. I could drive 14+hrs in it, and I am almost 6'5. I regret selling that truck just for that reason...

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Chiropractors are terrible. Not real doctors, believe in quackery, and can cause more harm than good. I'd stay far away.
That is pure rubbish, Sardine. You have been in your can too long.
My chiropractor treats current players from the NFL, NBA, NHL, and Xtreme Sports teams. I guess quackery is a good route to go if you want to earn millions of dollars.

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is pure rubbish, Sardine. You have been in your can too long.
My chiropractor treats current players from the NFL, NBA, NHL, and Xtreme Sports teams. I guess quackery is a good route to go if you want to earn millions of dollars.
Super cool story but you literally proved nothing.

Are you sure you're not confusing physical therapists with chiropractors? Because physical therapists are actually legit and it's what most athletes go to. I mean, have you actually read the crazy stuff chiro's believe in? It's nuts.

Thereā€™s a reason you can actually be a doctor as a physical therapist but not as a chiropractor, lmao.

But letā€™s not derail this thread anymore.

Last edited:

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree. Maybe something like this to support the legs.

1692973800768.png
Where did you find this. Exactly like this. Luxury SUVs like the X5 and Q5 have this as part of the lower seat and they are adjustable. I understand the Bronco is not a luxury SUV, I love it the way it is, but this would be a much appreciated addition in future models.
Sponsored