Sponsored

6G Bronco Diesel Team

Group for folks who recognize the superiority of compression ignition and are interested in or determined to diesel swap their 6G Bronco. Let's put our heads together and figure out how to do this.
TeocaliMG
These are the 3 concepts I envision for a possible swap. Without being a mechatronics expert myself, I cant say that all are equally possible.

Option A:
Pros: Leaving the OEM PCM may prove easier to integrate all the OE cluster diagnoses and relationships. The PCM and TCM can stay paired and happy, so long as the Donor Motor is doing its job, and key signals are shared (translated) like engine RPM, fuel consumption, throttle input etc.

Cons: Without knowing better, it may still require the same or similar amount of custom SW to operate as option B. Also more cluttered/messy.
1713362964880-de.png

Option B:
Pros: cleaner set up than option A. If the translator can be set up to facilitate "direct" connection between the Donor PCM and vehicle, it may be easier to integrate and tune. I think this is how professional shops would attempt a swap if it were possible at all.

Cons: not clear if a translator could be made to satisfy all vehicle signal inputs/outputs.
1713363018362-oc.png

Option C:
Pros: Less hardware than options A and B, everything handled via SW integration

Cons: Requires either OEM SW support, or a donor motor with aftermarket PCM with the ability to accept custom calibration. Limited Donor motor options with custom PCM (can really only think of Banks Power)

1713363053306-pe.png
Show full message
TeocaliMG
TeocaliMG
I will add that i've stated multiple times that i'm not a huge fan of the 3.0 powerstroke, but most of that is based on its legacy in the F-150.

I'm aware that the Aussie version has many changes, some of which may be a boon for its reliability. Also considering I want to delete the EGR anyway, that takes care of the reliability. EGR was a huge issue for the 3.0. Its BSFC is still worse than the 6.7, and probably the 1VD, but the power to weight is pretty good.

Until recently, I was not sure how to acquire the Aussie version though, but while researching the 1VD, i've figured out how to acquire a new version of either. (as well as the 1GD) so those 3 are all on the table for me as I try to figure out the best way to integrate the electronics.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views