Sponsored

Middleman (Dealerships) Unnecessary? To a Point

Should dealerships be cut out of custom orders from the factory, due to notoriously shady practices?

• Total voters

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good Morning Everyone,

Something I believe that we have all seen, especially with this Bronco debacle, is shady dealerships who are now going to be getting away with doing shady things since the X-Plan was taken away by Ford. With that being said, I'm not saying there are not very good, honest, hard-working dealerships ( looking at you @Granger Ford ). But unfortunately for you good dealerships, you are outnumbered 100 or more to 1. You have dealerships in LA or Orange County who think they can charge $40k for a vehicle which is MSRP'd at $28.5k simply because, "It's Hollywood, bro!" Or you come to my neck of the woods around Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri and dealerships in the surrounding area think they can charge 10-15 percent more for a vehicle because, "Those dumb privates will pay for it!" When I was 18, and a dumb PFC mind you in 2009, fresh out of Basic and AIT, with my $10k sign-on bonus and a little extra I saved, I put a brand-new crate 350 and a new transmission in my 97 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. I put a $1300 full Kenwood system in it, I repainted the truck, and put a small lift with 33s on it. It was a brand-new 12 year old truck after I was finished with it. My wife and I hit rough financial times around 2011 and I had to trade in my truck (for a Chevy Cobalt........). My truck got like 8 MPG lol. I took it to Lindsay Chevrolet in Lebanon, MO. where they told me that because the vehicle was old, they could only give me $3500 for my truck. Being dumb and trusting a dad of one of my old baseball teammates who was my salesman, I agreed even though I had all the receipts for all the work I had done to my truck. I left feeling like I wounded pup, and I really felt like one a couple days later when I drove past the dealership again. There my beautiful 1997 Lamborado was on their "show-off" ramp listed at $14.5k. I'm now 29 and that experience still leaves a horrible taste in my mouth to this day because I signed those documents and there was nothing I could do at that point. What pissed me off even more is when I saw some other d-bag driving my truck I had poured my heart and soul into. So what is the point of me going through all of this?

I don't see any reason for dealerships being involved when it comes to vehicles that are being reserved and ordered directly from the factory. The only thing dealerships should be doing with these Broncos is installing DIOs and handing over the keys to the owner, period. Dealerships should not be allowed to get a cut from a custom ordered vehicle straight from the manufacturer. It opens the door for dealerships to do some really shady things like insane markups and insane doc fees, and legally so. If people want to shop on a car lot for a new vehicle, that's when dealerships should be able to do what they want. What I'm asking for is to get rid of the unnecessary middleman when it comes to ordering a custom vehicle from the factory, who is notoriously known for screwing over its clientele. Those kinds of transactions, specifically in this case, should be between FoMoCo and the customer.

Sorry for the rant guys. I had to get that off my chest. I've waited 11 years for it to maybe mean something to someone else lol.
Sponsored

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes man, this isn't even a question.

These dudes lobbied congress in like the 1950's (or somewhere around there) to make it a LEGAL requirement that OEM's have to sell through a middleman.

Pure horseshit.

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes man, this isn't even a question.

These dudes lobbied congress in like the 1950's (or somewhere around there) to make it a LEGAL requirement that OEM's have to sell through a middleman.

Pure horseshit.
It's one of the things that Tesla is definitely doing right.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good luck with your crusade. In pretty much every state of the union one of the most powerful lobbying forces is that of the car dealerships. Getting them out of the picture would only take place when you pry the cold, hard cash donations out of the politicians hands.

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good luck with your crusade. In pretty much every state of the union one of the most powerful lobbying forces is that of the car dealerships. Getting them out of the picture would only take place when you pry the cold, hard cash donations out of the politicians hands.
Trust me, I know it's a pipe dream. But maybe it's only a pipe dream because we the people (who outnumber the lobbyists) fail to say anything publicly about it as a unified front.

Sponsored

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Trust me, I know it's a pipe dream. But maybe it's only a pipe dream because we the people (who outnumber the lobbyists) fail to say anything publicly about it as a unified front.
We also we totally cool with the government spying on us (NSA).
Well we acted upset, but didn't really do anything about it.

Fairly difficult to get Americans to come together on pretty much anything IMO

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We also we totally cool with the government spying on us (NSA).
Well we acted upset, but didn't really do anything about it.

Fairly difficult to get Americans to come together on pretty much anything IMO
Very true lol.
Sponsored