Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Mickey Thompson Baja AT
Nittos
Even Falkens over BFG

I ran a set of 37x12.5x17s for about 40,000 mi and they are the worst set of tires I've ever owned. They would not stay balanced, they slipped and slid in rain and snow, they are complete crap in mud. The only thing they're good for is thin sand over desert terrain.

Which I'm sure some will say that's what they were designed for but you cannot say that if the label on the tire is all terrain. In addition, they are three peak snowflake rated but they're the worst snow tires I've ever had.

It's laughable to me that so many people think BF Goodrich KO2s are great tires...
Interesting I hear people trash nittos all the time for rain and snow performance.
Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Folks can hate all they want, everyone has their favorite tires. But KO2's are as goated as it gets for a true all terrain. Any A/T which significantly outperforms a KO2 in some terrain (not hard) does not out perform it in all others. OEM's are cheap, and extremely stringent on tire performance and KO2's are a consistent offering in top product lines. KO2's are pricey, and OEM's wouldn't touch them if they weren't legitimately excellent.

That said, I think most modern A/T's have converged to a point of pretty solid performance, enough so that anecdotes and specific conditions encountered can lead people to think one tire is incredible and another is terrible.

I will probably continue running M/T's because they offer a significant improvement in the terrain I want top performance in, and I am willing to accept the performance degradation in other areas. I will forever be a KO2 stan, and am looking forward to seeing how the KO3 stacks up long term.

Nc211

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLS450 (2020) / OBX Dual Top 2.7 (2024)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m going KO3 on my OBX non-sas, 285/65/18. Order for them should be happening today at the dealership while we wait for the car to arrive sometime over the next week or two. Not cheap by any means, but want those raised white letters badly! The KO3’s look to be a little better in water management with some differences in tread design. Will find out soon enough hopefully!

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Interesting I hear people trash nittos all the time for rain and snow performance.
That's the biggest knock I see on them as well and has me hesitant to get a set of Nittos.

However, when I had my Mustang people also always said never ever get caught in the rain with Nitto 555R drag radials on the car. I did it plenty of times, the were fine, never an issue. Mickey Thompson drag radials on the other hand, got caught in the rain once with those one and that was scary lol

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I intentionally pulled Nittos off my son's 4Runner because of the crappy wet weather traction. They now hold air for my early Bronco and will get dumped when it is back on the road.

Sponsored

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm running Ridge Grapplers now and rain performance is iffy at best. Otherwise great.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am new to off-roading. I do not go rock crawling but have been off-road in the snow the KO2s and they were great (but have nothing to compare to). At home on pavement, they are quiet and have decent grip. Traction in very wet road conditions is not great, but I've driven in other SUVs and the Bronco in 4A is still way better. I play to keep using the KO2s or KO3s for my next set of tire.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Xira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2022 Silverado LT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Back in the day I ran General Grabber AT2 tires, they were like a knockoff of the KO2 for a fraction of the price. I'm glad to hear KO2 is somewhat overrated and I was better off saving my money.

They wore out fast but then again, it was a 90s Dodge with the old school drag link steering. That'll never get good alignment like a modern rack and peanut system.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never owned a set of Falkens in my life but you'd be blind not to see there's plenty of people on this forum who speak highly of them.

Substitute everything you said above with the GY Territory and you have no argument from me. That's the definition of an undersized light weight OEM tire.

KO2 = boomer tire
What’s a “boomer tire”?

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Back in the day I ran General Grabber AT2 tires, they were like a knockoff of the KO2 for a fraction of the price. I'm glad to hear KO2 is somewhat overrated and I was better off saving my money.

They wore out fast but then again, it was a 90s Dodge with the old school drag link steering. That'll never get good alignment like a modern rack and peanut system.
That's a great typo. I'm calling it rack and peanut steering from now on!

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess that makes me an older GenXer. One foot pre internet, one foot after.

DVULT57

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As someone new to this type of tires I find this interesting. Almost ever review of Nittos I see they are horrible in the rain/snow and nothing like a BFG. Makes the decision so much harder seeing al these differing opinions!
Remember that opinions are like sphincters. Everyone has one but some stink more than others.

Turbo yzel

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Well since it is on the "wish list" I would suggest at least two and a half years out at the earliest. If ever...
That works as the Baja boss MT’s should need replace by then
Sponsored