First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Wildtrak, 2023 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The white “Baja designs” text was at the top, just like the picture. Just the etching on the lens was on the left, as if the lens had been attached 90 degrees off compared to the other two. I knew I’d probably be voiding warranty but I undid the 4 Alan screws and rotated the lens so that the etched SAE F 20 and BD250011 were on the bottom, like the way the other 5 came.
Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The white “Baja designs” text was at the top, just like the picture. Just the etching on the lens was on the left, as if the lens had been attached 90 degrees off compared to the other two. I knew I’d probably be voiding warranty but I undid the 4 Alan screws and rotated the lens so that the etched SAE F 20 and BD250011 were on the bottom, like the way the other 5 came.
So yeah that's not right AT ALL. If the SAE text was VERTICAL (rotated 90 degrees) then somebody flipped the bezel around to make it appear right, but it's not. It sounds like the SAE lights you got were taken out of some other fog kit that mounts the lights sideways (sideways brackets).

Just flipping that lens so the writing is correct is NOT going to do anything. It's a spot lens, so you can put it in ANY orientation and it changes nothing. INSIDE the light, under the lens, are the optics. THOSE have to be installed in a specific way. ANd it's done at Baja Designs.

With our fog kits, we get them UPSIDE down already. So when the light is installed upside down, the optics become CORRECT (right side up)

Baja sells SAE fog kits on some vehicles where the lights actually installed SIDEWAYS. So Baja installs the optcs SIDEWAYS (when looking at the light with the brackets on the bottom). THis way when the light gets rotated 90 degrees for installation, the optics are CORRECT.

Your optics sound like they are wrong sorry to tell you. IF what you are telling me is correct that is (where you got the lights with the mount on the bottom but the SAE writing was NOT correctly displayed and was sideways)

So if you are comfortable doing it, you need to open the light back up, remove the lens and then rotate the OPTICS 90 degrees. The thing is, Baja aligns these from the factory when they do it. You CAN rotqate the optics yourself, just make sure you seat everything properly.

I recommend turn the light on and shine it against a wall to make sure everything looks okay.

OP
OP
LSW

LSW

Wildtrak
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
cool thanks! This is what they look like up close. I can’t remember which one I took the lens off of and rotated, but it was only one of them. When it gets dark tonight I’ll take a picture of their beam throw and post it up but the beam seemed to be in the correct horizontal orientation, if a bit fuzzy on the top cut off compared to the whites presumably because they’re a bit deeper in the bumper pocket. I would imagine if the optics were 90 degrees off the beam would be clearly vertical instead of horizontal which is not the case.

Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper IMG_1856
Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper IMG_1855

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah pics at night would help. See if you can isolate each fog also so I can see the pattern.

SPVPARTS

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
specialtyperformanceparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor/Bronco/Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is my Baja designs triple fog kit from @SPVPARTS with the long mounting brackets from @4x4TruckLEDs.com since the modular bumper didn’t come with fogs on my ‘24. Wired each pair to aux switches 4,5,6. Amber SAE, White SAE, and squadron pro driving/combo.

The white SAE in the middle works the best in terms of beam obstruction, yellow on the inside gets diffused a little from hitting the inside of the bumper, resulting in a bit of a fuzzier top beam cutoff line. Driving/combo Baja designs squadron pro is really bright but for off road only since it’s too bright to be street legal. Probably should’ve put the yellow SAE on the outside since I’d imagine I will use it more than the driving/combo, and the outside position seems less obstructed for a wide fog beam. Adjusted the fogs to have top of beam 4” below level at 25’ for proper aiming.
IMG_1848.jpeg
IMG_1846.jpeg
IMG_1849.jpeg

The only issue I had is that one of the amber SAE lens cover seemed to be on at a 90 degree off position because the “SAW F 20 BD 250011” writing was on the left side of the light when viewed from the front instead of the bottom like the other 5. I rotated the Lens cover not knowing if keeping it at that angle would affect the beam pattern or not. Install was pretty straightforward, just be sure to get a weather-pack crimping tool and the tiniest hex ratchet possible with a dremel-shortened 4mm Alan key hex driver so that you can adjusted the beams’ aim after install.

I chose to run the wires more or less straight up from over the front of the driver front crash bar and behind the front part of the wheel well lining. I tried to get the fender flare off to run the wires further aft above the wheel well lining but was having difficulty and didn’t want to risk breaking off one of the plastic rotating snaps on the flare. I ran the wire straight up in front of the battery, then outboard of the battery and along the edge of the engine bay to the aux switches with half a dozen zip ties along the way.
Actually it sounds like to me, that the issue is when you added the LONG brackets. The SAE lights you got with that kit were already positioned with the beam angle to use the SHORT brackets from the top side. Since they were in a kit like that, you wouldn't need to add the long brackets. If anything, with the other 2 pairs of NON SAE, you might just rotate the outer frame rings for the print to be the other way if i wasn't. You wouldn't need the LONG brackets. So my guess is if you just put the other original brackets back on them and they are rotated the other direction, they should aim perfect. That was one of the early issues in the beginning with the new SAE lights.

The optics were NOT flipped. Then when using the OEM brackets, they would do what you are talking about here. Then after working with Baja we made sure the ones in the kits WERE flipped and it sounds like maybe you flipped them back the other way with the long brackets.

Feel free to give me a call or text. I would love to help you out and get it resolved for you.

I am sending you a PM

John

Sponsored
OP
OP
LSW

LSW

Wildtrak
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
ok, thank both you guys for the help. This is all my fault as I actually got my white SAE fogs from outside the kit, so my mixing and matching caused the problems. I think my white squadron SAE that I purchased standalone did need the long brackets, but I went back and put the short brackets on the amber SAE and driving/combo that came with my SPV kit and it fixed my problem. I had no idea the optics inside the lights were customized/shaped to this degree, that’s actually pretty cool. I decided late in the game that I wanted to add a pair of SAE whites instead of the spots I have that came with the kit so I had more street legal options, thus the mixing and matching. I was thinking of maybe using the spots as ditch lights instead, maybe I should mount them upside down if I do?

Before all 3 pairs with long brackets (25’ from wall with a small green aiming tape at 22” above ground, 4” below the lights’ center):
Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper IMG_1870
Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper IMG_1871
Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper IMG_1872

After (short brackets on amber SAE and driving/combo, still long brackets on white SAE):
Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper IMG_1874
Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper IMG_1876
Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper IMG_1877

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So when you buy Squadron SAE lights they are designed to be right-side up. You CANNOT flip them or the optics will not be right. The cut-off is VERY SHARP when positioned right-side up.

We actually stock 2 kinds of SAE lights from Baja Designs. One set are normal, so they are right side up, but then we also stock SAE lights that we buy from Baja Designs with the optics/lenses FLIPPED for us already (they actually will say UPSIDE DOWN on the box). These are designed for fog kits where the lights hang upside down (Raptors, Broncos, etc...).

Our S2/Squadron extension brackets allow customers who happen to have the Squadron SAE lights (non-upside down) orient them correctly. Because if you install the SAE lights upside down, the pattern isn't 100% correct (the sharp cut-off would be on the bottom instead of the top).

So that's where our longer brackets are usefull for your exact scenario where you happened to need to flip the lights around.

HOWEVER if the Baja Designs box says UPSIDE DOWN (it'll be on the white sticker) then the lights are installed upside down. With them upside down the BAJA DESIGNS lettering will appear right side up and the SAE will be written right side up WHILE the actual light is upside down (Because baja already flipped everything around inside).

Make sense? I don't know how your lights were oriented since we didn't sell you the lights (check the box for the UPSIDE DOWN white sticker) but I was happy to help try and get your lights oriented properly on the road.

Reactions: LSW
OP
OP
LSW

LSW

Wildtrak
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So when you buy Squadron SAE lights they are designed to be right-side up. You CANNOT flip them or the optics will not be right. The cut-off is VERY SHARP when positioned right-side up.

We actually stock 2 kinds of SAE lights from Baja Designs. One set are normal, so they are right side up, but then we also stock SAE lights that we buy from Baja Designs with the optics/lenses FLIPPED for us already (they actually will say UPSIDE DOWN on the box). These are designed for fog kits where the lights hang upside down (Raptors, Broncos, etc...).

Our S2/Squadron extension brackets allow customers who happen to have the Squadron SAE lights (non-upside down) orient them correctly. Because if you install the SAE lights upside down, the pattern isn't 100% correct (the sharp cut-off would be on the bottom instead of the top).

So that's where our longer brackets are usefull for your exact scenario where you happened to need to flip the lights around.

HOWEVER if the Baja Designs box says UPSIDE DOWN (it'll be on the white sticker) then the lights are installed upside down. With them upside down the BAJA DESIGNS lettering will appear right side up and the SAE will be written right side up WHILE the actual light is upside down (Because baja already flipped everything around inside).

Make sense? I don't know how your lights were oriented since we didn't sell you the lights (check the box for the UPSIDE DOWN white sticker) but I was happy to help try and get your lights oriented properly on the road.
yep makes sense, and I talked to John from SPV today and he said the same thing. My white SAE I bought by themselves did need the long brackets, just not the amber SAE that came in the kit since they were the model that was designed to be mounted upside down.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

yep makes sense, and I talked to John from SPV today and he said the same thing. My white SAE I bought by themselves did need the long brackets, just not the amber SAE that came in the kit since they were the model that was designed to be mounted upside down.
Well they don't make a model that is designed to be mounted upside down. We special order them from Baja Designs that way. If the white label on the side of the box did not say "(UPSIDE DOWN)" then they were not flipped from the factory by Baja Designs. That's a special order item that we request from them.

This is an example of what the box should look like, indicating the optics were flipped from the factory (as there is more to it then just the bezels, the optics inside have to be flipped). This allows the lights to hang "upside down" while the pattern is in the correct orientation.

Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper baja

Last edited:
OP
OP
LSW

LSW

Wildtrak
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well they don't make a model that is designed to be mounted upside down. We special order them from Baja Designs that way. If the white label on the side of the box did not say "(UPSIDE DOWN)" then they were not flipped from the factory by Baja Designs. That's a special order item that we request from them.

This is an example of what the box should look like, indicating the optics were flipped from the factory (as there is more to it then just the bezels, the optics inside have to be flipped). This allows the lights to hang "upside down" while the pattern is in the correct orientation.

baja.jpg
Interesting, my boxes didn’t say “upside down” yet it seems from the photos and my observation that the upside down mounted amber SAE more closely resembles the beam pattern of the clear/white SAE mounted right side up. Don’t you think the second amber pattern in the photo above represents a more correct SAE fog beam than the first one? Anyway, I’m not a light expert, this is my first time messing with them so I don’t really know anything, just trying to make sure I install them correctly.
Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper IMG_1880

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ll post a photo later when I’m at the shop showing the beam pattern of both lights for you

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here are 2 photos for you. Sorry for the composition, I just shined them at the ceiling from the workbench real quick but you can see the clear cut-off on the lights. The top is VERY sharp while the bottom is fuzzy/has some scatter to it, because the bottom is on the ground.

When installed properly that sharp cut-off is on top and stops any glare from going upwards. That's why it's important to make sure the SAE Fog lights are oriented properly. And unless the box says UPSIDE DOWN then the optics are not in the correct orientation if the lights HANG upside down. That's where our longer extension brackets come into play, because they allow the lights to hang right-side up while the bracket is long enough to extend upwards and HANG the light correctly

Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper 1716222741412-0b

Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper 1716222753629-r4

ctskier

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Badlands 7 Speed (June 2024)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got mine ready to order. Went with the Pro Series / Spot, Driving/Combo, SAE Clear

will probably pull the trigger this week so that they are here for June. Build date is June 3 so never know if it's this June or next :)

SPVPARTS

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
specialtyperformanceparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor/Bronco/Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting, my boxes didn’t say “upside down” yet it seems from the photos and my observation that the upside down mounted amber SAE more closely resembles the beam pattern of the clear/white SAE mounted right side up. Don’t you think the second amber pattern in the photo above represents a more correct SAE fog beam than the first one? Anyway, I’m not a light expert, this is my first time messing with them so I don’t really know anything, just trying to make sure I install them correctly.
Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper 1716222753629-r4
After our conversation, you did install them correctly when you put the ones on the original brackets and not the long brackets. The yellow ones were upside down because they came in your kit that way. Then the white ones you got were not upside down. So when you used the long brackets you got on those, you put them the correct direction. So as you have them and after we spoke, it sounds like you corrected them.
If you ever have any questions or concerns, you can also always feel free to reach out to me as you had. We will always be sure you are taken care of.

For reference though so you understand which direction the optics are facing

If you are looking at the optics inside, to tell which direction they are going, you can reference this photo. (You don't have to shine a light to know. You can actually look at the optics) RIGHTSIDE UP will have a longer/deeper curve on the TOP and SHORTER curve on the bottom of each optic.

You can look at the black plastic easier to tell. If you notice the red arrows. The longer one and the shorter one. So longer is the top, and shorter is the bottom. This is a good indicator for anyone installing Baja's SAE lights so you know which direction is right. If ever you have doubt, just look at that curvature.

Hope this helps!

John

Ford Bronco Baja designs pro triple fog light advice for modular bumper image0000 (005)
Sponsored

Reactions: LSW