Sponsored

Badlands with or without SAS for suspension mods?

roadtripper

Badlands
First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey y’all, been lurking on here for a few weeks now ahead of placing my order for a 2dr m/t Badlands. I’ve picked up a lot of helpful info as far as how to get my Bronco looking just the way I want it. But here’s a question I’d appreciate some input on:

I definitely want to lift my Badlands above the Sasquatch height, and upgrade to 37” tires, so, is there any good reason to order with SAS? I do like the beadlock-able wheels that come with the SAS package, but what else would I be missing out on? Is it just the wider fender flares?

I figure I could
-save ~$5k by ordering the non-SAS
-spend ~$2k on Bilstein 6100s (w/installation) to get the lift I’m looking for
-have ~$3k to put towards wheels and tires

I could also sell my takeoff shocks and wheels/tires to add to my modding budget.

Thanks! Excited to join the community, can’t wait to officially join the Bronco club!
Sponsored

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Agreed with HighVelocity-do not pay for sas if you already know you’ll be putting on bigger lift and bigger tires, most of the sas suspension will b replaced anyway.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey y’all, been lurking on here for a few weeks now ahead of placing my order for a 2dr m/t Badlands. I’ve picked up a lot of helpful info as far as how to get my Bronco looking just the way I want it. But here’s a question I’d appreciate some input on:

I definitely want to lift my Badlands above the Sasquatch height, and upgrade to 37” tires, so, is there any good reason to order with SAS? I do like the beadlock-able wheels that come with the SAS package, but what else would I be missing out on? Is it just the wider fender flares?

I figure I could
-save ~$5k by ordering the non-SAS
-spend ~$2k on Bilstein 6100s (w/installation) to get the lift I’m looking for
-have ~$3k to put towards wheels and tires

I could also sell my takeoff shocks and wheels/tires to add to my modding budget.

Thanks! Excited to join the community, can’t wait to officially join the Bronco club!
Might want to add some $ for gears to the budget. I think 37's would be a dog with the 4.7 ratio. (You will have the same ratio with or without Sasquatch so still no reason to pay extra for Sasquatch.)

OP
OP

roadtripper

Badlands
First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Might want to add some $ for gears to the budget. I think 37's would be a dog with the 4.7 ratio. (You will have the same ratio with or without Sasquatch so still no reason to pay extra for Sasquatch.)
Thanks, I don’t know a damn thing about gearing so this gives me a new research topic.

Sponsored

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a non SaS Badlands, and I did my own suspension and lift. I run on 37's. My RIG runs just fine on and off-road and it is definitely not a slouch. A few vehicles found out the hard way.

As I have said in other threads, I am modded. I have a tune, and fully upgraded go-fast parts. CAI, Charge Pipes, Down Pipes, Exhaust.

I say no SaS, upgrade with what you want to run, and enjoy. 4.46 will be your gears without the SaS.

My Non SaS Badlands...

Ford Bronco Badlands with or without SAS for suspension mods? 1714863472698-pe

Ford Bronco Badlands with or without SAS for suspension mods? 1714863509415-ts

OP
OP

roadtripper

Badlands
First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a non SaS Badlands, and I did my own suspension and lift. I run on 37's. My RIG runs just fine on and off-road and it is definitely not a slouch. A few vehicles found out the hard way.

As I have said in other threads, I am modded. I have a tune, and fully upgraded go-fast parts. CAI, Charge Pipes, Down Pipes, Exhaust.

I say no SaS, upgrade with what you want to run, and enjoy. 4.46 will be your gears without the SaS.

My Non SaS Badlands...

Right on. Nice looking rig! Your lift/tires are a lot like what I’m looking for. Also planning on the FP tune (hope it’s available for 2024s by the time I take delivery). As someone else pointed out, the m/t non-SAS comes with 4.7 gearing, so between that and the tune I’ll try running 37s before pulling the trigger on a new gear ratio.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for clearing that up. I read some other posts that also said non-SAS Badlands comes with a 4.46 ratio, and I was confused because my build on the Ford site shows 4.7
The guy who doesn't read your first post and comments about how his his fine with an automatic and a hot rodded engine is not being helpful. First, with a manual you will be keenly aware of ratio mismatches because you will be doing the shifting. Second, because he either doesn't know which gears come with a manual, or which transmission you will have, he adds confusion to the thread. Finally, comparing the manual with the automatic doesn't take into account the effect the torque converter has at low speeds. His experience has absolutely zero relevance to what yours would be.

I'll give you real world experience that will be relevant. I have a BD 7MT, 4.46 final drive, Advanced Transfer Case (same transfer case as Badlands/Sasquatch). I recently went to Bilstein 5100's set a a mild lift (not so relevant to you) and from 32's to 33's (very relevant to you). At least for me, on the street, 4.46 is as steep as a gear I would want to run with 33's. 6th gear becomes relevant depending on headwind at 65-70 mph instead of 60-65. First gear is a bit faster speed wise. When my wife filled it with 87 instead of 93 it felt really doggy but on 93 there wasn't a huge difference in performance.

The equivalent gearing for 35's would be 4.70. Equivalent for 37's would be about 5.00.

But, if I go to 35's someday when my Bronco is primarily an off-road rig instead of my daily driver and off-road rig, I'd go 4.88 for 35's. The reason being you are increasing the rotational inertia of the wheels and their rolling resistance so you have additional effects beyond just the gearing. Equivalent for 37's would be about 5.16. (All of these are "about" because nominal tire sizes vary in actual diameter but are close enough for this discussion.)

Off-road you have a lot more leeway because of the combination in gearing from the crawler gear and the low range on the transfer case.

You can play around with this online calculator: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

For reference, to 2 decimal places, the Bronco's 7MT ratios are:
C: 6.59, 1: 4.28, 2: 2.36, 3: 1.45, 4: 1.00, 5: 0.78 and 6: 0.65

The transfer case has a 1:1 ratio in high and 3.06:1 in low (Advanced Transfer Case).

Sponsored

rdg04578

Everglades
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
All SAS packages now get HOSS 3 suspension. you automatically get

• 210mm IFS axle
  • 220mm solid rear axle
  • 5-zone damping
  • 2.5″ FOX shocks
  • Ford Performance Severe-Duty steering rack, Raptor motor, upgraded tie rods, Sasquatch steering ratio
  • Track width: 25mm offset
  • Rear stabilizer bar on both 2-doors and 4-doors
with that you 35's stock but there are a the lot of threads out there talking about running 37's-- which can be done. I think for 5K the SAS package is not a bad deal considering it comes with a factory warranty--and if you can run 37's stock and are not planning on doing some extreme wheeling you may find that you have all you need with a warranty.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

All SAS packages now get HOSS 3 suspension. you automatically get

• 210mm IFS axle
  • 220mm solid rear axle
  • 5-zone damping
  • 2.5″ FOX shocks
  • Ford Performance Severe-Duty steering rack, Raptor motor, upgraded tie rods, Sasquatch steering ratio
  • Track width: 25mm offset
  • Rear stabilizer bar on both 2-doors and 4-doors
with that you 35's stock but there are a the lot of threads out there talking about running 37's-- which can be done. I think for 5K the SAS package is not a bad deal considering it comes with a factory warranty--and if you can run 37's stock and are not planning on doing some extreme wheeling you may find that you have all you need with a warranty.
This is not correct. Only the Wildtrak gets hoss 3.0 suspension.

WildHorseJoe

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought my Badlands with the Sasquatch package because it had everything I needed and the vehicle is extremely capable from factory. I don't intend to go up to 37's or swap the suspension for at least a year or two.

With that being said, if you want to go with 37's right off the bat and a "perch collar" isn't really that attractive to begin the process of fitting them, go without the Sasquatch package.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

not true for 2024 ALL SAS get HOSS 3. it was a change for the 24 model year--numerous threads on this
You may want to go back through those multiple threads.

All 24MY Sasquatch gets is the severe duty steering rack… nothing else. It still has HOSS 2.0 suspension.

Only Wildtrak gets HOSS 3.0
Sponsored