Sponsored

Trailrax roof rack perfectly stores the rear panel!

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure I'm not the only one of us who has wanted to remove the middle panel of my hard top when suddenly finding yourself in some beautiful weather while out and about (especially here in the PNW), but there is no way to store it other than putting the rear seats down. I did a little messing around with my roof panels and I wondered this: can I safely store my rear panel on my Trailrax rack and strap it down? The answer is YES! A little back story: I spent the first summer of ownership in 2021 completely topless. Full hard top was removed and in the garage. I loved it but always planned on a roof rack for the utility. In the fall of 21 I added the Trailrax roof rack and since then have only been removing my front panels (frequently) and never messed with the middle panel because it was kind of difficult to remove and replace by myself when I didn't have a roof rack. I have to say, the rack actually makes it easier to remove the big panel by yourself because you can get in the back seat, slide it out, and prop it under the bars while you get out to finish removal/replacement. Before the rack was on, it was more awkward of a task.

The other day I had a nice sunny day and figured out the rear panel fits perfectly on the rack and the attachment hardware sits just inside of the bars. Nothing is wobbly and the panel sits flat on the bars nicely. The tapered rubber grommets are tight but you can muscle it in and strap it to your rack for a topless experience.

Just for kicks I timed how long it would take to put all the panels back on by myself from their positions on the rack and in the rear storage area. I did it in 4 minutes and 50 seconds. Here are a few pics. The close ups show the clearance of the 1/4 turn clamps and the hooks. The weird things on my crossbars are the boomerang mounts for my maxtraxx in case anyone asks. I'm not sure if @TrailRax engineered the rack intentionally for this but it works well.

Ford Bronco Trailrax roof rack perfectly stores the rear panel! IMG_6787
Ford Bronco Trailrax roof rack perfectly stores the rear panel! IMG_6792
Ford Bronco Trailrax roof rack perfectly stores the rear panel! IMG_6793
Ford Bronco Trailrax roof rack perfectly stores the rear panel! IMG_6795
Ford Bronco Trailrax roof rack perfectly stores the rear panel! IMG_6796
Ford Bronco Trailrax roof rack perfectly stores the rear panel! IMG_6800

This last one is how I propped the top panel to get it in myself.
Sponsored

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great.

Do you happen to have pictures of how you strapped it down?

spidydt

Black Diamond
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx STi
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did the same except I left all the panels in my tent back at camp.

With all three of the panels off and the TRMR rack, the bronco doesn't look bad at all. With out the rack it looks like the Bronco has MPB! 😂

OP
OP
UncleBuck

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great.

Do you happen to have pictures of how you strapped it down?

No pics, sorry. Ratchet straps are my go to, but this panel is light enough that cam straps would be fine as well. I'm probably going to buy new ones that are black so the blend in more. I currently use orange straps.

adcam

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4DR 2.3L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another member here was also able to store there rear panel on a TralRax half rack.
Sponsored