I'm also considering the following competitor against the 2025 4Runner

• Total voters

olefriend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supra A90
No surprise... the Land Cruiser and GX are the most considered vehicles.

Curious, is anyone considering the current 5th gen 2024 4Runner?

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Nope. The gas milage of the current gen 4runner makes me run really fast away, plus it's behind on the tech.

My 2016 Outback has cruise assist, lane assist....back then! It's weird to me that nearly 10 years later this is just now getting into some of the Toyota cars. Weird, whatever.

I started out with the LC, but after the premium gas and price situation, I needed to find other options.
I love the look of the current Taco, but we already have a Tundra. I want to replace my SUV with similar type. I have my aging Mom and my garden stuff as the priority use.

As the 4runner started to look more and more an option, I moved my LC "reservation" over to the 4 runner. So, I guess my backup option would be an LC?

IceColdNorth

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460

Yes, in a manner of speaking. My wife just bought a 5th Gen since she wanted the reliable V6. I'm on the waitlist for the new hybrid engine on the 6th Gen.

brewrunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Subaru Crosstrek Onyx
I would like to get a 4Runner hybrid for its off-road abilities, but being 6' 2" I'm concerned about the headroom. That's why I'm keeping the LC in mind. Ultimately I sure would like to wait and sit in each one to see "what feels right".
I went and sat in a new gen Tacoma TRD off-road premium today and it was extremely tight on headroom at 6'2" with the sunroof. It's certainly a concern I share. I had no issues with head room in the previous generation 4runner by comparison. Here's to hoping there's a bit of a difference in headroom dimensions for the new generation.

kzrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner TRD off-road
I went and sat in a new gen Tacoma TRD off-road premium today and it was extremely tight on headroom at 6'2" with the sunroof. It's certainly a concern I share. I had no issues with head room in the previous generation 4runner by comparison. Here's to hoping there's a bit of a difference in headroom dimensions for the new generation.
Thank you for this information.
Yes, let's hope that:
The dimensions of the 4R are different than the Taco.
Or, that the 4R that we are seeing is not exactly what will be produced.
Barring those two things, one can hope that the headroom of the LC is indeed higher.

There are just too many unknowns at this stage. It's driving me slightly nuts. :)

IceColdNorth

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Interesting, do you belive this new 4Runner to be reliable? Or are we new buyers doomed?šŸ˜‰
I predict the new 4Runner to be reliable which is why I'm sitting on top of the dealer waitlist for my local dealer. My wife liked the look of the 5th Gen better. Everybody's happy.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
Yes, in a manner of speaking. My wife just bought a 5th Gen since she wanted the reliable V6. I'm on the waitlist for the new hybrid engine on the 6th Gen.
So she bought the current 5th Gen and come 9 months from now she will regularly ride in, drive, and look at your 6th Gen?

Damn, I think that buyers remorse is going to hit HARD about a year from now. There might be SOME growing pains, but overall I don't expect the 6th Gen to be much less reliable than the 5th Gen, and any issues will likely be within the warranty period. This is Toyota after all.

IceColdNorth

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
So she bought the current 5th Gen and come 9 months from now she will regularly ride in, drive, and look at your 6th Gen?

Damn, I think that buyers remorse is going to hit HARD about a year from now. There might be SOME growing pains, but overall I don't expect the 6th Gen to be much less reliable than the 5th Gen, and any issues will likely be within the warranty period. This is Toyota after all.
You're not wrong about that! I think that's why she's hoping I go for a LC250, instead.

MJE

Threads
Reaction score
When you say the Canyon was small, was that sitting in the front seat or back seat? If you find the Canyon small in the front I fear that you will for all of these vehicles. Though I too don't have personal experience, I think they are pretty much all about the same for front seat size. I would recommend going and test driving a Tacoma as it should be almost exactly the same front seat experience.

If you were talking about the back seat well that is to be expected with a mid-size truck. From what I have read, the Tacoma is even worse there.
Front seat & yes I fear youā€™re right. Iā€™m probably expecting a bit much out of the midsize class, wanting full size truck room. I didn'tā€™ try any of the back seats, the dog would be happy enough riding back there. I think going & test driving a Tacoma is the best bet youā€™re right. That should give me a much better idea of size. The only Toyota Iā€™ve been in recently is a friendā€™s 24 Camry & that was rather nice.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Since this will most likely be my wife's car it will be the Sequoia or GX

If it were up to me it would be the 4Runner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Ford stx
I was disappointed when Toyota did not come out with the original renderings of the 2025 4 Runner, I thought it looked bigger and longer. Maybe some day they will come out with a rendition of it and give it another name.