3rd party extended warranty

dhzion

First Name
DH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
We purchased about 2 weeks ago and the finance department sold us an extended (84 month/ 100,000 mile) 'Pinnacle' warranty through National Auto Care for $1975.00 with a $200 deductible.

The more I research I am confused as to:

A - Why we weren't offered a Toyota extended warranty.
B - The reliability of the company and/or the warranty. There is very little information about their plans and costs online (by design I assume to allow the dealers to shape the coverage and price at sale). They don't review well online, but are still A+ rated on BBB, seemingly due to being very diligent in attempting to resolve complaints there.

Does anyone have opinions on the value of the extended warranty on a Toyota at the price we paid and/or the reputability of the 3rd party company?
Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Generally the packages that they offer you in the F&I office is where dealerships really make their money.

For reference, I was offered the same level of warranty for $1495 (not sure if it was the same company or not), which in my mind isn't a terrible deal, but I still declined.

You can buy your own extended warranty at any time and there are other companies that you can purchase them through as well.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
We purchased about 2 weeks ago and the finance department sold us an extended (84 month/ 100,000 mile) 'Pinnacle' warranty through National Auto Care for $1975.00 with a $200 deductible.

The more I research I am confused as to:

A - Why we weren't offered a Toyota extended warranty.
B - The reliability of the company and/or the warranty. There is very little information about their plans and costs online (by design I assume to allow the dealers to shape the coverage and price at sale). They don't review well online, but are still A+ rated on BBB, seemingly due to being very diligent in attempting to resolve complaints there.

Does anyone have opinions on the value of the extended warranty on a Toyota at the price we paid and/or the reputability of the 3rd party company?
If it were me I would insist that the dealer swap out the warranty with a Toyota (real) one. Because why take a chance? The 3rd party warranties aren't any less than the real deal. With the Toyota VSC you don't have the hassle of getting work pre approved etc. The dealer will handle the claim and Toyota will pay the shop directly without you being involved. Some 3rd party warranties even require you to pay and they will "reimburse you later".

There is no better vehicle service contract (aka extended warranty) for your Tacoma than the genuine Toyota offering.

Last edited:

evlfred

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tundra Plat
17 years running the finance department of a new car dealership here.. NO NO NO, only the manufactures service contract ever...cancel that and get a full refund and buy the Toyota one online if you have to.

OP
OP

dhzion

First Name
DH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Thanks everyone. I spoke with Jerry and have a quote request into Troy Dietrich. Jerry’s quote for the same mileage/time warranty with $0 deductible Platinum Toyota was significantly less than this 3rd party.

Frustrating that sales was pretty good to us but finance has just been a pain. They didn’t even send us out the door with copies of the warranty paperwork. I’ve had to ask multiple times and just barely got them today. Perhaps obvious why they’re dragging their feet.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks everyone. I spoke with Jerry and have a quote request into Troy Dietrich. Jerry’s quote for the same mileage/time warranty with $0 deductible Platinum Toyota was significantly less than this 3rd party.

Frustrating that sales was pretty good to us but finance has just been a pain. They didn’t even send us out the door with copies of the warranty paperwork. I’ve had to ask multiple times and just barely got them today. Perhaps obvious why they’re dragging their feet.
how much is significantly less?

im waiting on the hybrids, but want to get everything in order

OP
OP

dhzion

First Name
DH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
For same time and mileage?

is it the highest coverage? This seems low but I won’t complain lol

That was for 84 month/100k miles Platinum $0 deductible.

You can see in this thread a list of quoted options from Troy Dietrich that are in the ballpark.

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/lowest-toyota-extended-warranty-prices….3595/

At this point Jerry is just a name and number I got off the internet, but we had a pleasant conversation and I'm reaching out for folks that have used him to vouch before pulling the trigger.

I initiated cancellations of the 3rd party with the dealership today.

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Pre-Runner
Just a comment on 3rd-party warrantees.
My brother owns a shop and if a customer wants to use a warrantee, he adds $100 to the bill for the time he has to spend dealing with the additional paperwork and approval process. And if the warrantee doesn't cover the whole bill, the customer must make up the difference.
Sponsored