Sponsored

Broncos Of The Carolinas

Ford Bronco enthusiast group for anyone in North or South Carolina. Connect with other local past, present, or future bronco owners and discuss anything bronco or off road related. www.BroncosOfTheCarolinas.com
Greg Helmick
Heading to Corolla Beach next week. Looking for some ideas on beaches that allow vehicles on the beach and can pull up to the water. Not parking over night, just planning to hang out multiple days during the day at the beach.

Sorry of this is redudent, but I scrolled through and didn't see an answer and google talks about a parking pass but I dont think I need that.

Not staying on the beach, but a mile from it.
Show full message
Reactions: Panzer948
HorizonHunter
HorizonHunter
My favorite is about an hour south, Coquina Beach. A lot softer sand than Corolla though, be prepared to air down.
Greg Helmick
Greg Helmick
Thank you
Elwood
Elwood
Carova is an obvious choice just north of Corolla up to the VA state line and with wild horses all over- driving up and hanging on the beach for the day is kind of the thing to do there, but you probably want to look into getting a pass if you’re staying a lot. We parked when we forgot our pass one day and wasn’t hassled by the constantly patrolling cops and lifeguards, but your mileage may vary. We typically get a house in carova which comes with passes.

If you don’t have an air compressor there’s a great public station at the light house just a short way from the beach entrance. There’s a small parking lot right next to the entrance to carova beach where everyone airs down though it’s posted that you’re not supposed to- it’s always really crowded so I air down a little bit further south before driving up to the beach.
TheShark
TheShark
There is a air down right across from the street from Historic Corolla Park, you should see the sign when you are coming up 12, the air up station is located in Historic Corolla Park. Great drive, and as you pointed out better get a pass if you plan on parking, its a roll of the dice.
Reactions: Elwood
Panzer948
Panzer948
Sounds like a nice trip. Please post pics and share what you guys did. We are planning almost the same trip about 2nd week in August. I am also doing AirBnB around Carova but didn't know it may come with the passes. Is that possible? If not, can you pickup the passes same day as arrival?
Reactions: Greg Helmick
Elwood
Elwood
@Panzer948 I think most houses in Carova leave the passes there for use by people that come and stay at their places. I would just ping and ask the owner to confirm. Property owners get long term passes
TheShark
TheShark
jlj4660
Cape Hatteras passes are also available/ Usually easier to find non crowded areas
Greg Helmick
Greg Helmick
Thank you all very much. Looks like passes are sold out for the week, so I will have to try and figure that out when we get there.
Greg Helmick
Greg Helmick
I went ahead and called the Currituck visitor center and unfortunately with all of the passes being sold out for the week of 7/25, there was no other way to obtain one since the condo we are renting does have 4x4 passes.

Anyone have any other suggestions on how to get one?
View previous replies…
Greg Helmick
Greg Helmick
@kevin.gt Oddly enough, I contact a major real estate rental company down there and they suggested posting a message on Facebook. Someone who lives on the 4x4 beach offered to lend me one of their passes for no charge. Crazy that there are still some very kind and generous people still out there ;)
Panzer948
Panzer948
@Greg Helmick Hi, I have the same problem but not going until Aug 8 through the 13th. I was going to purchase a beach pass today after finally reaching the AirBnB owners (who don't have them) but as luck would have it, they are now sold out for that week. I did a search on FB for 4x4 beach but there are several of them with part of that name. I tried to join the most obvious one, Carova Beach 4x4, but it doesn't allow posts. Is there another page you are referring too? Just want to make sure I post to the one with highest success rate ;)
Greg Helmick
Greg Helmick
@Panzer948 I joined a couple different Facebook groups, OBX Outer Banks, Corolla and Carova
TheShark
TheShark
If you don't want to park on the beach you should be fine, even then as Elwood pointed out it's a crap shoot as to whether they will enforce it.
Reactions: Elwood
Greg Helmick
Greg Helmick
First time driving on sand, besides switching to sand mode and taking tire PSI to 15, any other suggestions with the bronco?
TheShark
TheShark
I took my tires down to 18 and didn't have a problem, as HorizonHunter said gentle on your brakes. As a side story when I was up in Carova in May for a Bronco get together one of the guys was showing us a picture from the day before of a Jeep that burned up. Apparently not only didn't the guy air down he was actually running at 54psi! Don't know if he was confused and thought he had to add air. :)
Greg Helmick
Greg Helmick
Thanks for all the advice, took the tires down to 18 yesterday and drove about 8 miles on the beach to a friend's house. No issues at all. Drove on the road about seven miles and then a couple trips less than seven miles one way. No issues with not filling back up

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views